Netherthong Primary School has a robust approach to ensure that we promote a love of reading throughout school – it’s a huge priority for us.
- Our SLT have prioritised a love of reading, ensuring that children are read to daily and that story times are engaging.
- We have a dedicated ‘Reading for Pleasure’ yearly calendar which we follow to ensure reading activities are promoted throughout school across the whole year.
- A superb, well-stocked library, with significant yearly investment, is available for daily use, with children borrowing books on a weekly basis and a dedicated parent-volunteer librarian who has an extensive knowledge of books, guiding choices and ensuring suitability, along with teaching staff.
- Pupil voice indicates that pupils love reading at Netherthong.
- Every classroom has a well organised book area which we actively seek to add new books to. Our children are so excited when they see new titles come in – they cannot wait to be the first to read them.
- Class teachers read to their children daily during class story time and share their knowledge of books with children, recommending new choices or books to look out for.
- Books that are being read by staff are displayed on doors to show our staff love of reading and inspire interest in the children and create opportunities for book talk.
- There are various reward systems in place that recognise children who love reading at school and at home.
- We have a dedicated section on our website for Reading to support parents to promote the idea of reading for pleasure.
- Parents are fully involved and supported in their children’s reading development from day 1 at Netherthong Primary School, with access to phonics workshops and updates on reading at parents’ evenings and after school.
- Take a look at our reading for pleasure section to see all the fantastic reading activities we get up to at Netherthong.