Phonics from the start
- Children begin learning letter sounds on entry to Reception. Following the RWI system, pupils are immersed in the directed teaching approach which embeds systematic phonics skills as the core skills for reading. Sounds are taught in a specific order and regular assessments inform future planning and interventions.
- Pupils will first learn to read Set 1 Speed Sounds: these are sounds (phonemes) written with one letter (grapheme)
m a s d t i n p g o c k u b f e l h r j v y w z x
and then sounds written with two letters, which are digraphs:sh th ch qu ng nk ck
Children will be taught to read words containing these sounds, by sound blending eg. m-a-t mat and f-i-sh fish.
- Pupils are then taught Set 2 Speed Sounds: ay ee igh ow oo o oar or air ir ou oy and words containing these sounds.
- Thirdly, pupils learn to read Set 3 Speed Sounds: ea oi a-e i-e o-e u-e aw are ur er ow ai oa ew ire ear ure as well as the sounds ue, au, wh, ph, oe, ie and words containing these sounds.
- Children also learn ‘red’ words (common exception words).
To find out more about Read Write Inc please click on the following link. Parents are invited to phonics sessions in Reception and in Year 1.